Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:33:42 +0200
Hello,

Am Montag, 10. April 2006 18:03 schrieb houghi:
> The reason is that I do not want a GUI tool for backups. So what are
> you using that is on SUSE itself? Or do you run your own script? Have
> I overlooked some great script that is available?

I use storeBackup + several types of network-based tools:

- for backing up a web server, I use rsync (to a machine at a DSL line),
followed by a local storeBackup run on the backup machine (I need
multiple backup instances and do not want to download changed files
for each backup instance).
This combination is driven by a little self-written script calling
rsync for several directories and then storeBackup. The script also
takes care for connecting to the ssh-agent.
- for my laptop, I do backups using storeBackup - saving to a NFS-share
on my server. Again with a little script as storeBackup wrapper
(including generation of storeBackup.conf for several directories
because storeBackup can handle configfile _or_ command-line
parameters, not both at a time :-( )
I also burn "archive" CDs when I have collected >600 MB data that
isn't expected to change (photos etc.).

As you can see, my favorite tool is storeBackup. IMHO, it is the perfect
tool if you want to backup to a harddisk:
- unchanged files are hardlinked between backups, so you get full
backups with the disk usage of incremental backups :-)
- optional file-by-file compression with bzip2 or gzip
- good expiration management for older backup instances

Of course, you should backup to a removable harddisk (and _really_
remove it when not doing backups) or to another machine using NFS
mounts (again: umount if not needed). Doing backups to your local
harddisk is pointless in several cases.

There's only one thing about storeBackup I had to learn the hard way: if
you backup lots of small, rarely changing files (say: a webserver) and
keep lots of backup instances, you can run out of inodes (remember:
hardlinks!) while there are several GB disk space "available". This is
even worse because "df" reports enough free space and you need some
luck/intuition/whatever until you think about inode usage ("df -i")...
On the second attemp, I explicitely told mkfs to create more inodes ;-))

A note for those using tar: Do _not_ use gzip or bzip2 compression - if
one bit changes, your whole archive can be broken. There are better
backup tools that compress file-by-file.

Regards,

Christian Boltz

PS: If someone is interested in the scripts, just ask.
--
>...was dann wieder in polnisch, tschechisch und auf'm Mars versagt. :-)
Die Sprachen habe ich noch nie benötigt. Und auf dem Mars gibts ne
eigene Distri (für 21-Saugnapf-Tastaturen).
[> Ratti und Jan Trippler in suse-linux]