Re: [SLE] speed in Pen drive access
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:53:40 -0800
On Thursday 02 March 2006 06:03 pm, James Knott wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I agree with SuSE: mounting "sync" is the correct thing to do
> > with automounted pluggable drives.
> >
> > The user could unplug the device before the kernel has even decided it's
> > time to write to it.
>
> If a drive takes an incredibly long time to write to, a user may just
> give up in frustration and unplug it anyway. If SUSE insists on using
> sync, they'd better find a way to make it usable. I have a 1 GB pen
> drive. I do not want to wait such a long time to write to it.

I thouroughly agree. This is an oversight that probably shouldn't have
happened.

But then, I'd rather they focus on including DVD playback. I see more and
more the Major Suppliers of Marketing Solutions are Making Sales pitches
aimed at Multimedia Systems on our desktops with Mostly with a Single source
of DRM content from one Major Software company.

> Right
> now my choices are to manually mount it or plug it into my notebook,
> booted into Windows, and pull the file over the network.

Eewww! That blows. I really haven't had an issue since I installed the "fix"
mentioned on bugzilla.

Of course, I still cant' auto-connect to my WiFi network, but that's another
story.

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com

www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community