Re: [SLE] Some Samba Client Issues
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 06:15:50 -0600
On 04/03/06 02:50, Nick Schmidt wrote:
>As to this, -L lists the shares available and the connectablility of the shares. the -I does not appear to work for this. As to testparm, yes, I have dealt with that, and it is just fine. The samba server, as I said, works without a hitch. By the way, in the last message I forgot to mention I am on a 7 PC network.
>
>>I'm not certain about that smbclient commandline; AFAIK, -L should
>>specify a netbios name (or maybe a hostname? The manpages aren't clear
>>on that), not an IP. Use -I to specify an IP, but you may still need to
>>specify a netbios name.
>>
>>Have you run testparm to verify the validity of your smb.conf file?

I seem to have confused you; you cannot, as far as I know, give the IP
as parameter to the -L option. It takes the server netbios name. If you
give the IP instead, use the -I option in addition to the -L option. The
manpages seem to imply this should work: "smbclient -I <ip> -L", but I
can't verify this right now. And no, you did not say the samba server is
working properly. You have said absolutely nothing about your network,
its configuration, or its status. All I know is what is in the sbmclient
message you posted, and that says that you cannot properly connect to a
system running Win2K LAN Manager.

I have found the "Using Samba" documention (html format) in
/usr/share/doc/packages/samba/htmldocs/using_samba/ to be excellent. You
might find the answer to your problem there. It is part of the samba-doc
package. Unless you are a bit more forthcoming with the details of your
configuration, no one here will be able to make any suggestions.