Re: [SLE] GVC Ethernet PCI Adapter linux
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:52:29 -0600
On 3/4/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looks good except for the many errors.

lol!

yes -- now if this were windows, I would guess that either:

1)the OS has an outdated driver for the device it had correctly detected, or
2)the OS has incorrectly detected the device, and therefore the driver
being used is wrong

I'm not sure how to do these things in linux -- if I find a newer
version of the tulip driver, do I install it simply by copying the
files to the correct location?

If I wanted to try, say, the DMFE driver instead of tulip (is this
even an option???) how would I do that?

<snip>

> That seems to be the problem after all. Try googling for
> tulip_stop_rxtx - you'll get quite a few hits. I can't quite see if a
> problem has been fixed, but it might be worth updating your kernel to
> the most recent kernel-of-the-day (YOU).

well how does one do that without an internet connection? Is it
possible to download specific patch/update files to another device and
then burn them to cd? (I have not seen that option ... )

Depending on what you say to the questions above, it appears as though
I may have 2 choices:

1)dig up an intel pro 10/100 nic from somewhere (I assume these are
easily/correctly detected?), or
2)put windows back on, so my son can use his PC -- he's become impatient!

sigh ...

Peter

< Previous Next >