Re: [SLE] SUSE Firewall not like ZoneAlarm...
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:05:36 +0100
Am Freitag, 10. März 2006 17:25 schrieb Shriramana Sharma:
> I wonder how SUSE Firewall works.
>
> Back in Windows, with ZoneAlarm, when I first install it, it asks me for
> permission and preconfigures my default browser and mail client to access
> the net. After that, every new application that tries to access the net or
> every incoming connection from the net, it asks me for permission.
>
> But SUSE Firewall never asks me anything.
>
> How do I know which applications it forbids and which it allows? How does
> it know which applications to forbid and which to allow?
>
> I would much prefer a ZoneAlarm-like firewall that tells me what it is
> doing.
>
> Please share your knowledge with me. Thank you.

I once had a look at this page:
http://tuxguardian.sourceforge.net/

it reminds me very much in the functionality of ZoneAlarm. But I've never
tried it, have no idea if it runs with the SUSE 10.0 standard kernel...

Maybe somebody on the list has some experiences and will tell us - or if you
try it, give feedback here, please.

As much as I understand it (and I don't understand very much :-) ) the
SUSE-firewall doesn't care abaout which application is using a specific port,
so in my opinion it could easily be possible for a maleficent program to get
an internet connection.

But I may be completely wrong, of course However, your question leads to an
interesting topic and I would appreciate posts of people who know more about
how to secure a PC...

Daniel

special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com