Re: [SLE] recommendation for printer?
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:27:58 -0800
Kevanf1 wrote:
On 15/03/06, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 15 March 2006 10:34, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
Bruce Marshall wrote:
I believe the 1320 (like a lot of HP and other printers these days) has a
'metering count' on the life of the ink cartridges.... so it doesn't
matter how much ink is left, when the meter runs out, the printer stops
running.
mmmm, interesting especially since the 1320 is a laser printer. Does
this metering still apply.

On a side topic I am also about to get an HP 1320 and am very interested
in this thread.

tnx to the OP
I'm not sure about the 1320 having chips on the toner carts but I know the HP
2600 color laser does. Here are some comments people have made about the
2600:

Full user opinion
"nice inexpensive..but HP has made it that way on purpose......the printer has
imbedded chips in it that says when to replace the ink. even if you only use
black, when it goes the chips say all the ink is done. you have no choice but
to replace all 4 inks, and its at least every 3 months if not sooner...and at
85 bucks a pop it adds up..HP has done a number on this one....stay away...or
shell out 400 bucks every 3 months for ink....HP should be arrested for
stealing.....never again. "

So it is possible that a laser printer can have the same type of chips.

I'm sorry for being pedantic but laser printers use toner not ink.

Anyway, the Tectonix printers are much nicer :-) The last I heard was
that they replaced the solid wax pigment blocks free of charge for the
lifetime of the printer with those. It may only have been the black
wax block though.
Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire
WS6 7HR

Tektronix printer division was bought out by Xerox.

--
Joseph Loo
jloo@xxxxxxx

< Previous Next >