Re: [SLE] time is running far too fast (2 yrs ahead in 1 week)
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:08:59 +0200
Thanks everybody for the help.

I did what you suggested under 1), Carlos, and it seems that the clock is now
running quite normal (well, I had only two hours time to check, but as the
clock advanced to April 2010 over the weekend, I guess I would have noted if
it would still run that fast...)

I did not know that there is a difference between the hardware-clock and the
time shown in kde etc., because in my "old days" with COBOL-programming on
DOS-Systems there was only one source of date-and-time: the hardware-clock
and nothing else. So, when I adjusted the date/time those times thru a
program it always directly adjusted the hardware-clock and I just assumed
this would still be the case.

I guess, what happened now was, that when I adjusted the date in kde only (but
not in the BIOS nor using hwclock --systohc) to 2006-03-16 , linux noticed a
difference to the hardware clock that was set to 2002-01-01 and "thought"
that the hardware clock was running much too slow, thus "correcting" this by
running the "software clock" much faster.

Well, at least, that's what I think now. Should the problem not really be
solved, I'll come back to this thread after a while - hope I will not have
to ;-)

Daniel

special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com