Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3100 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse] Download DVD for 10.1, yes or no?
  • From: "John Ahrends" <john.ahrends@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:52:43 -0600
  • Message-id: <6256eeb10603181052n3d845c75r790bcef8a9e8393e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At the time that I posted that... the particular Drive was on sale for $39
US.... it is now $59... That particular vendor constantly has DVD drives
for $cheap. The point is that DVDs drives are becoming a norm. It is
getting to the point that it is more mainstream to have a DVD drive in a
machine than it is to have a CDR only. I am just pointing out where the
mainstream user will be. If you look at all the other distro's they are
offering DVD ISO images because they understand that.

The bottom line is this. I have supported SuSE as long as I have because I
ran it on my PC first. If you want SuSE to grow you need the desktop users
to find it and love it.

I have been a SuSE supporter Since 4.4.1.. before that it was slackware so
the transition makes sense. I put SLES any where I can because I know how
good SuSE is. If I was coming into this game now I might pass on SuSE to go
to another distro because I don't like messing with 5 CD's when I can put on
another distro that provides a DVD.



On 3/18/06, houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:35:57AM -0600, John Ahrends wrote:
> > that would be a neat trick to put the 5 iso images onto a DVD disc...
> boot
> > from it and install SuSE.
> >
> > Is there some special magic you know about that I don't?
> >
>
> 1) Please do not toppost. Please read
> http://en.opensuse.org/Opensuse_mailing_list_netiquette
>
> 2) It would indeed be a need trick to put 5 ISOs (or 6 soon) on one DVD. I
> use makeSUSEdvd for that.
> I put the (softlinks to) the 6 CD's in one directory and run it with:
> makeSUSEdvd -o ../dvd -a /usr/src/packages/RPMS/
> That adds several RPMs I have on the DVD as well that are not available
> anywhere else and can be installed during the installation.
>
> > Who gives a flip what currency it is in?
>
> The people taking the money. When you are talking about USD, you mostly
> also talk about the US only. Many people live in places that do not have
> the USD as a currency. Furthermore many of these places have TVA wich will
> make the price you claim is possible not achievable.
>
> > so it is *49.2650078 Euro
> >
> > http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op:mfe031406&sku=4761159
>
> That gives me a price of almost 60USD, not 39USD you claimed. A difference
> of 50%. Also I would have I looked and was unable to see how I could order
> it and what the price would be for me.
>
> Prices for Belgium are around 50EUR
> http://www.mpl.be/products.aspx?id=30&sid=195
> YMMV
>
> > Eitherway... put the dvd iso's up there and they will come.
>
> Uhm. Nobody said they would not be put online, because they are. The ISOs
> they put online are single layer ones. They contain the same as the 5 CDs.
> However they are not available for Beta. I could even imagine that for
> future beta's (10.2) only the 3 CD's will be online and the rest via FTP.
> Or at least for the Alpha's and the first few Beta's. Only the last 2
> Beta's and the RC could have 5(6) CD's online for testing purposes.
>
> houghi
> --
> Nutze die Zeit. Sie ist das Kostbarste, was wir haben, denn es
> ist unwiederbringliche Lebenszeit. Leben ist aber mehr als Werk
> und Arbeit, und das Sein wichtiger als das
> Tun
> - Johannes Müller-Elmau
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-help@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>


--
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it
had an underlying truth."
- Umberto Eco
< Previous Next >