Re: [SLE] Session management error
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:36:05 -0500
On Wednesday 01 February 2006 11:11, Brian Green wrote:
<snip snip snip ... comments interspersed>

Hi Brian,

Glad to see you are persistent!

> I've thrown a couple of tarballs in (without problem ...)

I suggest you look into 'checkinstall,' which comes with the distribution. It
can be used to build rpm packages from tarballs, so you can remove the
software with YaST (or CLI rpm) if it breaks your system.

> I'm really troubled by your "... moved to 10.0 from 9.3, ..." comment.

The more familiar you are with SUSE, the easier it is to *upgrade* from one
release to the next. I've done it both ways and, IMHO, the "fresh" installs
are a lot less work.

If you use a separate /home partition, you can move '/home/you' to
'/home/.you' and install "fresh" without formatting /home. This technique
preserves your personal settings and data without modifying them. You can
then migrate them into the newly created and pristine user directory at your
convenience.

You also might consider keeping a 'lab book' handy to record and keep notes on
all your customizations. You'll outgrow the need for it in short order, if
your present progress is any indication. :-)

> 2) I'm really (really!) frustrated with YaST2!

This is one of the oldest complaints about setting up installation sources in
YaST. If you browse to a mirror and study a proper YaST source directory,
you'll see a specific directory structure and files that are needed by YaST.
You can't just dump a bunch of rpms into a directory and point YaST to it...
it won't be recognized as a legitimate source because it lacks the proper
format.

The second oldest complaint about setting up installation sources in YaST
concerns *how* you enter a server and installation source directory. The
installation source will *not* be accepted if you use leading or trailing
slashes. Correct example using my preferred mirror:

server type: ftp (checkbox)
server: mirror.mcs.anl.gov
directory: pub/suse/i386/10.0/SUSE-Linux10.0-GM-Extra

OK, Brian, the ball is back in your court. I'm sure you're going to be a very
interesting and productive contributor to this list.

regards,

- Carl