Re: [SLE] maximum nproc value
  • From: Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:13:10 +0100
On 2/2/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Steve Graegert wrote:
>
> >> We are talking about concurrent processes only.
> >> I cannot believe compiling the kernel requires ~700 processes running
> >> in parallel.
> >
> > Indeed, it only needs a couple of threads, but not multiple processes,
> > at least not simultaneously.
>
> In kernel 2.4 a thread is a process. And if you compile the kernel with
> 'make -j bzImage', it's not about what make _needs_, but about how much
> work it can load the box with.

It was a major design flaw, which has been corrected with 2.6.
Mapping each thread on a process just reduces complexity in the
kernel. In 2.6 threads are scheduled onto LWPs in an n:m model.

BTW: are we still talking about the bomb DoS thing?

\Steve

--

Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx>
Software Consultant {C/C++ && Java && .NET}

< Previous Next >