Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE in the news
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:30:44 -0500
On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 09:16 -0500, Joseph M. Gaffney wrote:
<snip>
> Ahh... the old "well we have to, so its ok" sentiment.
>
> I hate that sentiment. I find it... well, I don't think I want to say it.
>
> At what point does the inclusion of closed source with the kernel end? At
> what point do we, as consumers, say no? Sorry you think differently, but
> they *are* caring about the freedom of the users, not only the freedom of
> their software. MPEG, DVD (specifically CSS encryption), DRM, etc, now has
> HDCP to join the group, the biggest nightmare I will ever see. None of these
> HDCP compliant devices out there work correctly, and even better, do not work
> with each other at all. If you're going to buy something HDCP, be damn sure
> you're getting it all from the same company at the same time... you'll run
> into problems, still, but less than any other way.
>
> I mention this because its the same thing. CSS encryption is weak and
> uneccessary. Region encoding was done only so Hollywood could control their
> release cycle to milk movies for all that they've got. MPEG is not the
> end-all be-all of video codecs, plenty of others have come up with better
> codecs now. For example, the BBC with DIRAC, designed for HD. Or Ogg
> Theora.
>
> Why do we have DVD's with encryption? Because you, Siegbert, are ok with being
> forced into a certain path. Me? I'm not. Let the manufacturers do their
> job, and support me as a customer. They can put what needs to be closed
> somewhere in userspace, and open the rest. Short of that, I have no interest
> in using them.

I want to make sure I understand the whole thing about closed source
drivers. How long have the manufacturers had to comply to the -new- way
of providing userspace drivers? I think all need to know the timeline
involved here to properly access the impact on whether or not they
upgrade their OS. I certainly do. Why should I upgrade to a newer kernel
version that keeps me from using hardware that currently works?

--
Ken Schneider