Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE in the news
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:06:25 -0500
On Tuesday 21 February 2006 8:50 am, Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> I -do- know who they are and I -DO- appreciate the great work that they
> do I just cannot nor will I ever understand the justification for the
> kernel developers telling Novell to stop distributing the non-GPL
> drivers I.E. kernel-smp-nongpl-2.6.13-15.8. If the inclusion of this RPM
> helps Novell sell more copies of their distribution then I say let
> Novell do so and help further the linux cause. Next thing you know the
> kernel developers will tell distributions to stop including -any-
> non-gpl software under the guise that it -may- taint the kernel. Just
> plain old BULL S#)T as far as I am concerned.

It's very frustrating for those writting the kernel, and it's increasingly
frustrating for those of us who are Sys. Admins. and want to INCREASE Linux'
presence not loose business. Not having good drivers HAS been a huge
stumbling block for us and it hasn't gotten a lot better. I see the issue of
poor hardware support as the #1 problem for Linux - not just SUSE.

Fred

--
Paid purchaser of ALL SuSE Linux releases since 6.x