Re: [opensuse] SUSE, OpenSUSE, SUSE Linux: confused...
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:46:57PM +0000, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
> You can explain that hundreds of times, I know the facts, and I will
> nevertheless write "SuSE" most of the time (and I guess, the same holds
> for many other people as well). That acronym has been used for many many
> years (I think it started with something like "S.u.S.E.") - if the brand
> name changes after such a long time, I don't think it's a big surprise
> that people still use the old one. And, my personal opinion, I really
> prefer "SuSE" over "SUSE", from my point of view it was a bad decision
> changing the name. SuSE was really a unique combination of characters
> (with a certain meaning, at least when you're familiar with the German
> language) and that's what a brand name should be. SUSE just looks as if
> somebody shouts something at you without any real content...

For me it is a kind of respect to honour the way the person wants it to be
written. SuSE decided to go to SUSE. That was their decision and wether I
like it or not, I respect their choice. So my preference is unimportand.

To be honest I like suse much better, because I don't have a CAPS-LOCK
key. The fact that it is houghi and not Houghi predates that and was a
reaction to usernanames written in h4X0R style.

I agree that it will take a while. It is just strange that people are so
reluctant to use it, even if they are explained that the choice has been
made. If somebody decides to go though life a Ben instead of Benjamin, I
asume you respect that as well.