Re: 10.1 Beta Installation Trouble and experience
  • From: "Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:14:50 +0100
houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 03:36:41PM +0100, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
At first, even not actually a problem, but easy to oversee what
happends. What is the idea behind the change of the Yast2 partitioning
that now by default try to split the last disk partition in two? I
wished as for previous 10.0 to install 10.1 beta in one root partition
on the same /dev/hda12. But now at each installation attempt, Yast try
to remove and split this partition in two smaller partitions /dev/hda12
and /dev/hda13, one for /home and one for root. In my opinion the user
should safer do this selection if actual, not Yast by default.

The idea is that first time users get a /home partition. The advatage of a
/home partition is that if you do a new installation with 10.2 or later,
your home partition will not be removed.

Maybe, maybe not. Next time at a 10.2 New installation (not Upgrade), won't Yast try to do the same, delete and split the last partition also then? As long as the last partition also is reformatted, everything on that partition will be wiped out.

I still think it was better as previously, that Yast asked where to install the new Linux distro or version, when it discovered previous installed root (Reiser) file systems.

On the fact that it uses the last drive by default: I can see two ways of
thinking here. If you DO it by default, you risk that the user looses data
on that drive that is important. If you DON'T do it, then the user might
not be able to install.

To mentione, I keep my important user data on a FAT file system for common access (e.g. my Mozilla mail box) regardless of Linux distro or Win2k booted.

Terje