SUSE 10 fresh install, problem #1: display setup
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:57:53 +0100 (CET)
This mail is not an asking for help but rather a complain to SUSE
people.

The scenario:
Fresh SUSE 10 installation from Eval-DVD-i386 followed by an
immediate YOU update.
During graphics card and monitor configuration in YaST2, sax2
recognizes both the monitor and graphics card correctly. Setting
the resolution to 1024x768 (XGA) with 16 million colors (24 bit)
the test mode results in:
the display can't be set at 85 Hz correctly to fill the display from
edge to edge w/o distortion.

This happened to me already on two very different systems:

System 1: NVidia FX6200 card with LTN CM1766MCLR monitor
System 2: ATI Radeon VE card with LG Flatron 775FT monitor

The symptoms however very similar, the display can't be set up
in 1024x768 mode at 85 Hz so that it would look nice.
Copying an existing and working 9.3 xorg.conf file to /etc/X11
fixes the problem.

I think there is something wrong with the new sax2, since in
earlier versions setting up the monitor on the very same
systems was not an issue, furthermore the xorg.conf created on
those systems can fix the problem.

IG

Halld és lásd a 20. századot! Cikkek és videók a század történelmi eseményeiről
az [origo] Múltkor oldalán. http://mult-kor.hu/cikk.php?article=12020

  • No further messages