Re: [SLE] SPAM: Trouble Connecting to Server Retry
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:53:15 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2006-01-03 at 08:21 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-02-06 23:31]:
> > I can see the dynamic IP's being blacklisted for an ISP but not the
> > static used for the email servers for that ISP. After all the ISP has
> > no control over the users that fail to keep their PC's secure.
>
> That's a bad rap. And an ISP certainly has control over errant users.
> It's called 'Cutting off service'. The ISP's just fail in their
> responsibility. You (at least in all of my experiences) agree to a
> usage form to get service and that form designates a loss of service
> for varying from their (ISP's) rules.

Hold on, you are all getting off-mark :-)

Comcast is not being blacklisted because of posters using dynamic IPs, or
users doing "Bad Things", or anything of the sort. They are or were listed
because the people responsible for the comcast domain are not following
some internet rules, some of the RFC documents. They took the liberty to
ignore some of the "rules", so they got listed as not following the rules
in the www.rfc-ignorant.org site.

For example, it seems that the information they give in the WHOIS database
is incorrect, or at least was incorrect at the date Eric Hines posted his
original email, for the domain contained in the "envelope from" (usually
the same as the from address), as seen when the email got to the list
server at SuSE.

It also seems there is or was some problem with the mandatory postmaster
email address (http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-postmaster.php).

I say "was" because I was unable to find the complaint report at
rfc-ignorant.org.

And, of course, another completely different issue is that SA should give
such a high spamminess score for an ISP not being fully compliant with
such RFC rules. It is certainly a Bad Thing, but perhaps not a good
indicator for spamminess.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson