Re: [SLE] Kernel Update
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:33:57 -0500
Randall R Schulz wrote:

> If you know enough to be messing around with RPMs, performing kernel and
> boot file manipulation and such, you really ought to know something
> about some simple scripting.

I learned vi and scripting in the '80's. After discovering OFMS, I
forgot virtually everything I ever learned about both.

> In this case, the only "scripting" I'm referring to is listing out the
> cp (or mv or rsync or whatever) commands in a single file, so the
> what's to be done can be seen and reviewed in advance and so there is a
> record afterward of what manipulations were performed on key system
> files. Do you get that from Midnight Commander?

I get what I need. As example, one of the 2nd things I do on a new
system install (#1 is start mc, or install it if it didn't start), is
navigate to /boot/grub. I find the initial menu.lst file if there is one
with some installer-given backup name, and shift-F3 it to menu.lst.01.
If that file isn't the newest, the newest gets shift-F3'd to
menu.lst.02. Then I F4 it to replace splash with splash=0 on the kernel
line(s), adjust vga= arguments to my liking, and so forth. That file
then gets shift-F3 to menu.lst.03. I then proceed to /etc and do
similarly with fstab, kdmrc, exports, hosts, .wgetrc and so forth. After
the login manager and nfs are configured, I navigate to an nfs mount, F4
a file containing sections the installers leave out of xorg.conf, mark,
ctrl-ins, F10, tab, F4, locate insert point, and shift-ins. Until this
point following install, I'm not ready to venture into X.

Such customizing is just not suited to scripting unless you're doing the
exact same thing repeatedly, which I rarely am, and can remember which
script does what, which my tired old brain would find a hopeless
proposition.
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." Psalm 33:12 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/