Re: [SLE] Kernel Update
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:10:56 -0500
Carl Hartung wrote:

> On Sunday 15 January 2006 01:44, Felix Miata wrote:

> > It == existing kernel, initrd, and matching module cast.

> I've never come across a YaST2 function in YOU or Install/Remove Software (now
> Software Management) providing one-click reversals of kernel upgrades. It
> stands to reason that if one doesn't exist it can't be tied into rpm to keep
> the database in sync.

There's nothing to rollback or reverse when a kernel package is added
rather than replaced. My original query is about installing an
additional/new package, not a package replacement update/upgrade.

> > > Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with Mandriva. Are you saying
> > > they've got kernel 'update' and 'rollback' functions which automatically
> > > keep the rpm database in sync?

> > By default, an upgrade kernel installation only adds a new kernel
> > package (and IIRC, makes it the default boot kernel). It does not remove
> > the existing kernel, initrd, or module tree.

> This doesn't answer my question concerning Mandriva.

Then I guess I don't understand your question. What Mandriva does
parallels compat-libstdc++ and libstdc++, which when installed coexist.
Apps that need one or the other simply use whichever they need. With
coexisting kernels, one simply chooses whichever one wants from the Grub
menu at boot time.

> > One normally reserves addition or change requests for a next version
> > only for what cannot be accomplished in a current version. I've not
> > quite yet seen conclusive evidence that will be necessary on this topic.

> SUSE won't retrofit a released version... I know you know that... the bottom
> line is you aren't convinced that a "non rpm command line" solution doesn't
> exist to address this scenario. It's hard to prove a negative, Felix, but
> I've never seen any indication that the function you're after exists.

Only Schulz and you have responded to this thread with any substance,
and neither have an email address or any other direct indication that
your responses should be authoritative.

I'm surprised to find the apparent lack of this function, given its
usefulness in defending against incompatabilities in replacement
kernels, and SuSE's otherwise superior polish and function to other
major distros in most regards.
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." Psalm 33:12 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/

< Previous Next >