Re: [SLE] Kernel Update
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:07:37 +0100 (CET)

The Sunday 2006-01-15 at 00:08 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> It's more readily resolved by leaving it installed, including in
> menu.lst, in the first place, which is what Mandriva's URPMI does by
> default. I would expect no less from YOU, but it apparently disappoints
> in this regard.

The easiest way to do this, ie, maintain the new and the previous kernel
versions would be to use the command rpm directly. What YOU (or Yast) does
is to install the newer version, and remove the old; there is no provision
that I know of to keep the previous version. I remember some SuSE
developer answering this same question time ago, so this is conclusive -
except that I don't use version 10, but I don't think it has changed.

So, the proper way, I understand, is to manually install the kernel
update/patch, with rpm, using option "--install" instead of "--upgrade" -
I think. Then, you have to check the bootloader configuration so that
there are appropriate entries to both the new and old kernels. If I remember
correctly, some filenames are updated appropriately this way by the rpm
command.

Another method, after running YOU, is to reinstall the old rpm package,
perhaps even manually using 'mc'; but it is probably easier to make a
backup copy anywhere, and put it back in place afterward, forgetting about
rpm databases (it is easy, only some files in /boot and the tree in
/lib/modules/{kernel-version}). You just have to remember what you did
and undo it at the next update; the database is not corrupted, it simply
not informed ;-)

The problem is that the option "--oldpackage" replaces completely the new
files with the old ones, so it is not valid.

It would be a nice feature to ask for in 10.1, I think.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >