Question for you programmers and those who onlye tinker w/ programming. RE Python and QT , esp in concert.
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:24:53 -0500
Many times over I hear or see something like... "you should try foo,
it's a really easy way to make your desktop dance to your tune" Be sure
you have Python AND QT installed ; and I believe, if memory serves ,
the QT is something specifically tied to Python, or the other way
around. Truth to say; I may not have the specifics on the Qt module
because my brain is misfiring today.. <sigh> Migraines would be a
heckova weapon if only they could harness it.

So the question arises, do these two work in concert so often ,they
should be a part of my basic desktop setup. IT seems most especially
the sorts of things former Windows users want on their desktops, as for
instance, SuperKarumba.. I have heard , requires these items to be
installed prior to installing the "Dancing Desktop" stuff...

Would you guys care to discuss pros and cons of making the Python and QT
stuff part of a default install for some types of users/computers.
( obviously we are talking about programs that *might* want to take a
lot of resources..) It seems to me that if you have stuff updating
constantly, it takes ram and proc cycles that could be allotted to
something more work oriented. But if a person is mainly using a word
processing program , possibly a "PowerPoint-like" program, or maybe
websurfing for research... ???? For those efforts, most of our current
boxes have enough power to do something other than wait for the next
line of prose to hit the programs screens.

"You never know until you try
It's hard to see which side your on
Some people say your half way here
Some people say your half way gone" song lyric