Re: [opensuse] undelete files that were deletet with "rm"?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 06:48:02 -0800
Christian,

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 03:13, Christian Lange wrote:
> On http://www.goldfisch.at/knowledge/326 it says:
> "after unmounting the partition you can try: "
>
> Well, that´s funny.^^ How can I unmount my Linux Partition (I´ve got
> only one) and still let Linux work? Can Knoppix help?

Root partitions cannot be unmounted during operation, only at shut-down.
An alternate root / boot (including Knoppix or UBCD) will allow
unmounted manipulation of a file system that cannot otherwise be
unmounted during normal operations, but even more changes will be made
to that file system during the shutdown process.

In fact, given normal system operations (logging, e.g.) and the fact
that your files are all on one file system (and the fact that you've
been using the system for, say, this email dialog?) suggests you are
rather unlikely to be able to recover much.

Randall Schulz