Re: [SLE] Straw Poll: Has GNU/Linux Replaced Windows on Your Boxes?
  • From: elefino <kevinmcl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:29:06 -0500
On Thursday 01 December 2005 16:59, DC Parris wrote:
> This is just a straw poll. I'd be curious to know how many people are
> running a pure GNU/Linux environment - SUSE or otherwise. If your job
> requires Windows, and you don't own the business, don't include that.
> Please include:
>
> <> Number of GNU/Linux boxes vs. Windows boxes (personal or SOHO use)
> <> Systems configured to dual-boot (only if Windows is rarely used)
> <> Any reasons why you still keep a Windows box or copies of Windows
> around <> Length of time you've been Windows-free

My home machine (the one I'm writing from) was SuSE/Win from SuSE 5.2.
Around about 7.3, I got rid of Windows. I've installed every SuSE upgrade
since since 5.2 (all paid for).

On my wife's home machine, it was Win-only for years, then SuSE/Win about
four years ago. These days, she boots into Windows occasionally.
She keeps Windows for two reasons:

1) The tax software that she likes does not exist for Linux.

2) Every time I install a newer SuSE, something is "broken", and it takes
me forever to fix it. Usually the problem is that SuSE has changed
something, or nothing has changed but the install/setup somehow comes out
different than the last time(s), and I just need to get the config correct
for printing or file sharing or whatever (and of course, there's always
the xine/libdvdcss thing ...). However, as far as she's concerned,
whatever is not working is "broken", and she's correct.

At work, I have dual/triple boot with RH and one or two flavors of Windows
on each machine. RH Linux is just for test/demo of our products. The rest
of the time, I'm in Windows (my newest and bestest box - with the
dual-monitor configuration, decent processor and a couple of gigs of
memory is WinXP), because the company standards require certain Windows-
only software (also, I really like the MarineAquarium screensaver :-).

The older test/tinkering machine is Win2K Pro and Win2K Server (and I have
to keep remembering to unplug the network drop every time I boot into
Win2K Server). My elderly laptop is Win2K Pro. I use it to take work home
in the busy season -- since they laid off a couple of people who do what I
do, it's pretty well been "the busy season" for the last six months.

We may switch away from RoboHelp in the next year or so, and the few things
that I still use FrameMaker for, I could do in "Word", meaning that I could
start doing them in OpenOffice and nobody would know the difference, which
means that I could probably slip into using Linux on the desktop at work
and nobody would be the wiser. It looks like several of the enterprise
tools are going to webbish interfaces... however, I think I'd still be
stuck when I had to use the source-control and issue-tracking system.
Company-wide, they use several systems, but it looks like we'll be
standardizing on MKS next year. The chances of them paying out extra
money so that I could have a Linux seat license when everybody else uses
Windows... well, "vanishingly small" isn't descriptive enough.

Oh, and I'm also kept in Windows because of Outlook and Exchange Server. We
schedule all meetings and various other things in the Outlook calendar. As
well, we use MS Project -- I'm not sure if there's a Linux equivalent that
could transparently swap those files back and forth... is there? Anybody
using?

In many ways, I'd like to move entirely to SuSE on the desktop at work,
but we are a branch office. We've had our own IT guy since being bought two
years ago (before that we were a standalone company with a full IT
department), but he's being ... um.... er.... discontinued just before
Christmas. All IT will be handled from the US head office (I'm in Canada).
I forsee a fair bit of downtime in our future, since even our phones are
now VOIP.... and when it all goes blooey, I'm not using MY cellphone
minutes to call head-office IT-dept. But the point is that if something
goes wrong with Windows, Windows apps, or the network stuff, it's somebody
else's responsibility and I get cut some slack if my projects slip.
However, if I'm using Linux, then I get to be my own IT dept, and it's my
responsibility to fix any problem that I have, without taking company time
to do it. For me, that's a deterrent. Many would find that a lame excuse,
but it's my livelihood, not yours, so.... :-)

Kevin