Re: [SLE] Straw Poll: Has GNU/Linux Replaced Windows on Your Boxes?
  • From: "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:44:53 -0800
On Thursday 01 December 2005 13:59, DC Parris wrote:
> This is just a straw poll. I'd be curious to know how many people are
> running a pure GNU/Linux environment - SUSE or otherwise. If your job
> requires Windows, and you don't own the business, don't include that.
> Please include:
>
> <> Number of GNU/Linux boxes vs. Windows boxes (personal or SOHO use)

6 Linux-only

> <> Systems configured to dual-boot (only if Windows is rarely used)

1 Linux/windows dual-boot

> <> Any reasons why you still keep a Windows box or copies of Windows around

Windows only used to play a legacy game occasionally, _never_ permitted to
access a network. I also keep WinXP pro on my laptop, but I never use it.
It is there only as a courtesy for my boss and others, should _they_ have an
issue they need windows for while we are traveling.

> <> Length of time you've been Windows-free

Except for that legacy game, 5 years.

Also, at work I use nxclient on a windows host to login to my home network, so
even at work, I can still use Linux for almost all tasks.

> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Don

Mark