Re: [SLE] Trouble installing src.rpm
  • From: John Summerfield <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 08:51:19 +0800
Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Susemail wrote:
>> I'm have trouble installing this package:
>>
>> # rpm -i /home/myhome/bin/MySQL-5.0.16-0.src.rpm
>> warning: /home/myhome/bin/MySQL-5.0.16-0.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
>> ID 5072e1f5
>> warning: user mysqldev does not exist - using root
>> warning: user mysqldev does not exist - using root
>> #
>>

> This just shows you are installing a non SuSE package, and a src.rpm at
> that? Is that what you wanted? It shows it installed, but since it is

It does not mean that it's not a SUSE (source) rpm, it merely means the
rpm contains files owned by mysqldev, and that user mysqldev doesn't
exist on Jerome's computer.

Since mysqldev doesn't exist, rpm substitutes "root." In the end, it
makes no difference unless you're installing as root, and you should
_never_ install source rpms as root.

Regarding permissions reported by Anders re /usr/src/packages, that's a
nice convenience maybe, but I think way better to configure rpm to build
in an area of the users' own, usually in ~.

While the standard arrangement works with one users, if you have
multiple users, more than one building packages, they you really don't
want them all writing into the same area and potentially medling (maybe
accidentally) with each others' packages.