Re: [SLE] suse 10 on cable modem at comcast.net
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:58:53 -0500
On Monday 19 December 2005 12:39 am, Mike McMullin wrote:

> Some switches don't ship with firewalls on them from what my hard-ware
> supplier tells me. You get a "Windows" disk with the software. IIRC
> SMC did this with a few of their systems. So it's a good idea to ensure
> that the unit has a fire wall built in.

Are you really talking about a switch rather than a router? I wouldn't expect
a switch to provide much if any protection. As someone else pointed out, the
NAT (Network Address Translation) provided by the router makes a huge
difference because it makes your machine's IP address invisible to the
outside world.

Paul

< Previous Next >