Re: [opensuse] Re: [devel-ftl] Re: [opensuse] meeting minutes: openSUSE allhands meeting 2005-12-14
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:17:28 +0100
Hello,

Am Sonntag, 18. Dezember 2005 23:33 schrieb Christoph Thiel:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:
[...]
> > > High priority item: bugzilla for packages, including community
> > > stuff
> >
> > But you can already enter your bugs into bugzilla.
>
> ... but as of now bugzilla.novell.com is only used to track bugs for
> packages that are maintained by Novell / SUSE. Having a central place
> to track bugs for all packages that are available for SUSE Linux
> would be preferable IMHO.

I fully agree, but I see one problem: How do you avoid that the SUSE
developers will have to handle all bugs in communitiy packages?

It might be easy to tell for packages that are not in the core
distribution (you still may have to re-assign bugs), but if someone
creates a modified Apache/KDE/whatelse package, things will become more
difficult.

I also have an idea how this could be solved: Use the packager field in
the RPMs - it now contains http://www.suse.de/feedback for all suse
packages [1].

What about putting a direct bugzilla link into the packager field?
Someone who wants to file a bugreport should be able to call
rpm -qi ;-)

Example URL for packager field:
https://bugzilla.novell.com?enter_bug.cgi?product=SUSE%20Linux%2010.0&package=apache2&version=2.0.50-150&packager=cboltz

"product", "package" and "version" should be quite obvious and, even if
not always necessary, can show the packagers package and version even
if the user enters a "bad" bug report.

"packager" could just be the Novell login name of the packager - and of
course the default assignee for the bug.

What do you think about this idea?

BTW: I guess it would be a bad idea to have a separate bugzilla for
packages from $build_service - I can imagine that several bugs in
modified packages also exist in the original package. Having everything
in one bugzilla means that a packager can CC the bug to the SUSE
maintainer etc. which would be more difficult with a separate bugzilla.

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] suse.de/feedback is often seen as "black hole", but that's another
story ;-)
--
Wenn diese Liste über Mailman betrieben würde, dann würden wir den
ganzen Tag nichts anderes machen als eine Menschenkette zum nächsten