Re: [SLE] Floppy drive vs. SUSE 10.0
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 02:42:19 +0000 (UTC)
On Tuesday 01 November 2005 05:11 pm, BandiPat wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 November 2005 04:21 pm, pelibali wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have three comps with SUSE 10.0 installed. All of them desktops
> > and all of them can copy a 500kb file in about _20 minutes_ to a
> > floppy. No joke, but seemingly "common feature". Reading floppies
> > is no problem at all, only writing to a floppy is like a nightmare.
> > Anyone else seeing the same strange behaviour?! All of the systems
> > fully updated and the automounter is active for floppy/CD. The
> > corresponding fstab things are defaults from the installations
> > themselves...
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pelibali
>
> ***********
>
> Pelibali,
> Mine doesn't take quite 20 minutes, but it is a very long time to
> copy any files to the floppy with SuSE 10! It seems to read as
> quickly as ever, but writing to a floppy is something SuSe has
> managed to mangle quite badly in their efforts!
**********

Ok Pelibali, there seems to be a bug report already submitted for this
problem, so it's well known by SuSE already. The bug #105871 covers
mostly external floppies or other usb devices, but the fix for now
works with internal floppies as well. Seems there is a bug in using
"sync" with any of these devices.

Simple fix is to edit your /etc/fstab and remove the word sync from your
floppy line. I kept mine manual mount and unmount as well, but it
doesn't matter, because subfs works without the sync. You'll be amazed
at the speed it writes to your floppy after that! It was unbelievable!
Anything under about 300-400Kb doesn't even open the transfer window
and 500+ only shows for a few seconds!

You can check to see if sync is active on the device after you insert a
disk or plug a usb device up with "cat /proc/mounts | grep vfat". If
you see "sync" in the result, it's going to write slow!

hope that helps
Lee