Re: [SLE] Floppy drive vs. SUSE 10.0
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 04:16:26 +0000 (UTC)

>Pat,
>
>On Tuesday 01 November 2005 18:43, BandiPat wrote:
>>
>> Simple fix is to edit your /etc/fstab and remove the word sync from
>> your floppy line. I kept mine manual mount and unmount as well, but
>> it doesn't matter, because subfs works without the sync. You'll be
>> amazed at the speed it writes to your floppy after that! It was
>> unbelievable! Anything under about 300-400Kb doesn't even open the
>> transfer window and 500+ only shows for a few seconds!
>>
>> You can check to see if sync is active on the device after you insert
>> a disk or plug a usb device up with "cat /proc/mounts | grep vfat".
>> If you see "sync" in the result, it's going to write slow!
>
>That's mostly illusory.
>
>If the floppy is mounted w/o the sync option, then the kernel buffer
>pool can easily hold the entire floppie's contents. In that case, any
>user-level software writing to the device will appear to return
>immediately, but at that point almost all of the data is in memory, not
>on the device.
>
>On the other hand, with the synchrounous writing mode in effect, the
>command or program that writes to the floppy will not return until all
>the data has made it all the way to the diskette.
>
>But in either case the amount of time it takes to write a given amount
>of data to the device is the same.
>

>> hope that helps
>> Lee
>

>Randall Schulz

It's been a while since I copied a whole floppy (in Windows or DOS) but
it certainly didn't take 10 minutes. I've never done it in Linux, but
why should it take longer? You can format the floppy (in MS) in about
2 minutes or less. It shouldn't take much longer to write data, instead
of eeee, etc.

--doug