Re: [SLE] bash hangs on xterm startup about 1/50 times.
  • From: Zvone Zagar <zvone.zagar@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:53:49 +0000 (UTC)
Fran├žois Pinard wrote:
> [Steven T. Hatton]
>
>> Every once in a while, when I start a new xterm, bash will not give
>> me a prompt. This has happened on different machines, and under the
>> last few SuSE distributions. It's a very minor annoyance, but it's
>> so fundamental to the very concept of Linux/Unix
>> (http://www.unix.org/) that it needs to be addressed. Have other's
>> noticed this?
>
> I observed this, indeed, but it was many years ago. I never
> understood the origin of the problem, and it apparently vanished all
> by itself :-). Everything has been working perfectly for me, in this
> area, for a long time now. I have no clue about what the problem
> could have been...

I have noticed the same problem (started with SuSE 9.2). In my case
unsetting LANG env. variable did the trick. I found (in my case ) that
if LANG contained ISO-8859-2 part (sl_SI.ISO-8859-2) xterm started only
now and then. But I need ISO-8859-2 codepage, so I had to switch to
'mlterm' and 'xiterm'.

Hope it helps Zvone

< Previous Next >