frequent hard disk failures - 9.3?
  • From: Carlos F Lange <carlos.lange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:56:36 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

Since I upgraded my 2 PCs at home and 9 PCs at the university
to SuSE 9.3 (clean install, all partitions ReiserFS) I had 4 hard
disks either crashing or showing bad sectors. In all cases the
failure is (I still need to confirm one case) hardware related
and there is no apparent pattern: they were Maxtor, Western Digital (2),
and Seagate disks, EIDE and SATA, new and old, on Intel and
on AMD boards, so I can't pin the blame on any particular
brand or type.

But I can say that it is definitely an unusually high number of
hard disk failures. Since I am one of only 2 in the department
running SuSE and my colleague also had a hard disk crash
while running 9.3, whereas the rest of the MSerfs (and a couple
of Mac addicts) in the department may have lost one HD in
the same period, it is starting to look bad. :(

I wonder if it is just here, or if someone else also noticed higher
number of crashes. I remember a previous thread from July,
where people tried to blame ReiserFS and others convinced them
it was mainly hardware. Well, hardware seems to be the case here,
but then again, SuSE and ReiserFS were the only things in common
among the 4 failed HDs I had in the past 4 months.
Am I seeing things, or what?

Carlos
--
Carlos Frederico Lange
Scientific Programmer: professional who loves to _find_ own errors.