Re: [SLE] KDE is a community _and_ a DE.
  • From: Andre Truter <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:46:41 +0000 (UTC)
On 11/12/05, Steven T. Hatton <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I will have to say this. After poking around in the GNOME a bit to see if it
> provides the same level of functionality as the KDE I have concluded that it
> does not, and in a big way. I'm not going to get into details, but there are
> features in the KDE that are simply better than their GNOME counterparts.

That is the advantage of having a choice. Different people do things
differently.

I have been playing around with KDE since I first started using SuSE,
and every time I go back to GNOME of XFCE.

It is not that KDE is bad or anything (KDE is a good desktop
environment), but I just like the way that GNOME does things and there
are certain functionality in GNOME that I cannot get in KDE.
It is probably there, but not in the format or way that I am used to.

I guess one gets used to a certain way that things are done and then
you stick with it. But this does not make any other tool bad. The
other tools cater for other people.
If everybody used the same desktop environment, then we would be back
in the Windows world where we don't have a choice.

--
Andre Truter | Software Engineer | Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899 | AIM: trusoftzaf | http://www.trusoft.za.org