Re: [SLE] ...and speaking of SuSE / Novell...
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:57:01 +0000 (UTC)
At 12:22 AM 11/14/2005 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 22:22 -0500, Marc Collin wrote:
>> Le 13 Novembre 2005 22:21, Steven T. Hatton a écrit :
>> > On Sunday 13 November 2005 09:52 pm, John Boyle wrote:
>>

>> > Don't try to get the average secratary to try Linux. It's not ready for
>> > that kind of use.
>>
>> why not?
>>
>> there are already some secretary in the world who use it
>>
>> > We need to get the technically able people to use it.

>> > College students, systems administrators, etc.
>>
>> primary, college... student use it
>
> We need better exposure at the grade-school and high-school levels.
>However, the teachers seem to be the ones doing IT in these settings, so
>they stick with M$, as that is what they are using at home, or so it
>seems.
>
> Mike

I am reluctant to get involved in this kind of OT discussion, but I
have to butt in. Certainly the high-school crowd--those who take
the math and physics classes, anyway--are capable of doing Linux--
very likely far more capable than I am. But they are very likely to
say--why? It can't do movies, and everything is a hassle, and it
doesn't do the games I want, and XP does all that I need to do,
so why? (And any honest user will tell you that XP is pretty
solid. Really.)

(They are not facing what I suspect will be annual upgrade fees
for an MS OS. I'm just waiting for that shoe to drop. Or the price
of the MS Office software.)

So, why?

Well?

--doug