[OT] Request adivce on internet connection (US)
  • From: Adolph & Sharon Weidanz <timetopaws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:14:38 +0000 (UTC)
Hey all...

I apologize for this off topic question, and may have been sent (I
didn't get it back) but I need help and advice and the only internet I
have access to is to dl email 2-3 times a week and this is the only
group I get...

Because of not having a landline or cable connection available, I need
to find a way to connect to the internet. I have looked at 4 or 5 of the
satellite providers, but they limit the amount that can be downloaded.
For instance Direcway and earthlink reduces your bandwidth after you dl
169megs in 4 hours. Others are even more restrictive.

So my next idea is to use Verizon's braodband cell access. They say it
will run 79.99 a month for 400 - 700K + service. The only drawback is
that the antenna is a PCMCIA card. I would want to be able to hook it to
my router with a ethernet/rj45 dongle so both the desktop and the laptop
can access the internet. Does anyone have any success with this?

The router will give the connecting computers an IP but does the router
get an IP through the PCMCIA card?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, I am going through withdrawals
not being able to hit the apt repositories or do a Yast update ;^)