Re: [SLE] [OT...sort of]Hardcopy or electronic books?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:48:58 +0000 (UTC)
Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Saturday 26 November 2005 12:11 pm, James Knott wrote:
>
>> Wasn't that the SR-71 that leaked? As a subsonic plane, the U2 wouldn't
>> have the same thermal issues as the Blackbird.
>
> IIRC, both. Never saw an SR-71/A12.

Well, I've never seen a U2, but I have seen the Blackbird in air shows.
At mach 3, cruising speed for the Blackbird, heating due to friction is
a serious problem. It is not at the speeds the U2 flies, which is
similar to that at which commercial airliners fly. If it's a problem
for the U2, it should be a problem for 747s, Airbus 300s etc. You don't
see many of them leaking fuel all over the ground.

< Previous Next >