Re: [opensuse] SuSE Open VS SuSE 10 professional
  • From: "LLLActive@xxxxxxx" <LLLActive@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:32:57 +0100
Hi all, my 2 pence,

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 05:40 -0500, Allen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:02:45AM +0100, Martin Sommer wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> >
> > > * Richard A Sharpe <rasharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-23-05 19:11]:
> > >
> > > 1. There IS NO open SuSE distribution!
> > > 2. OpenSUSE is a project, primarily to make ready the next version.
> > > 3. There is: SUSE 10 OSS, SUSE 10 Eval
>
> We should make that a sig for this list lol.

YES

> > 3a. There is also SUSE Linux 10.0 box version (not downloadable) that
> > contains more than 5 GB of software for both 32 and 64 bit on a DVD9. SUSE
> > 10 Eval contains ~ 3.5 GB.
>
> I've been wondering lately about the number of people wondering if they
> should download it. I think they should not.

I agree.

I had some problems with some systems concurrently to an Evolution
problem on my desktop workstation; all installed on OSS 10.0 that I
downloaded (correctly re. md5sums) from opensuse.org. Later on I bought
the original Novell "SUSE Linux 10.0" for €59,99 and installed it on my
desktop. Suddenly the Evolution and a few other problems were cleared!

In the installation I "UNCONDITIONALLY Updated" the OSS10.0 of my
workstation and straight away afterwards did a YOU update. Wonder by
wonder ... the Evolution problem SOLVED. Another 4 systems were
re-installed, each with it's own odd problem; one with Evo, another with
OpenVPN, another with Java, all with FireFox and RealPlayer 10, ...
Because of the failing packages; which like Java is not that easy to
install with the link for FireFox (which still did'nt work) and Opera
(which worked), OSS10.0 for newbies is a little bothering.

I advise all newbies to rather buy Novell's "SUSE Linux 10.0" in stead
of struggeling/learning with the OSS10.0 as I have the last 3 weeks. It
pays to support Novell's efforts to keep SUSE going. What could be the
difference between OSS 10.0 and Novell's "SUSE Linux 10.0" core
installations when disregarding the closed source 3rd party licensed
packages I don't know.

For up and comming learners (like me) and techies, downloading OSS 10.0
and struggeling a little is fun and a learning curve; which I do every
time before I buy the boxed version any way for my desktop PC. I buy at
least one OpenSource Distro per annum to support it. It is as cheap as a
single restaurant dinner for 2 with 2 kids.