Re: [opensuse] SuSE Open VS SuSE 10 professional
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 05:40:59 -0500
On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:02:45AM +0100, Martin Sommer wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>
> > * Richard A Sharpe <rasharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-23-05 19:11]:
> > > Is the only difference between open SuSE and SUSE 10 the included
> > > apps ? Just wondering if open SuSE was worth downloading.
> >
> > 1. There IS NO open SuSE distribution!
> > 2. OpenSUSE is a project, primarily to make ready the next version.
> > 3. There is: SUSE 10 OSS, SUSE 10 Eval

We should make that a sig for this list lol.

> 3a. There is also SUSE Linux 10.0 box version (not downloadable) that
> contains more than 5 GB of software for both 32 and 64 bit on a DVD9. SUSE
> 10 Eval contains ~ 3.5 GB.

I've been wondering lately about the number of people wondering if they
should download it. I think they should not. They should buy it and get the
extra goodies. I've been buying it for quite some time and it's been worth
it. It's not like it costs a lot.

> > 4. SUSE 10 OSS is _only_ OSS software.
> > 5. SUSE 10 Eval contains some non-OSS software
> > 6. Either is worth downloading.
> > 7. This HAS been explained ad nausium both here and on suse-linux-e!
> > 8. Note: SUSE, not SuSE
> > 9. You could have found out for yourself:
> > http://www.opensuse.org/Download

Sadly because of money being tight I have to download it for now :( Ah
well Christmas is coming and so is my Birthday (5 days away) guess what
I'm asking for :)

-Allen

Left on purpose: