Re: [SLE] 100 Million Linux OT
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:50:32 +0100
On 03/10/05, Carl William Spitzer IV <cwsiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 21:30 +0100, Kevanf1
> >
> > The one I have seen demonstrated on a tv news report was excellent.
> > It was slim, not a bit bulky and the charging handle/crank was akin to
> > a fishing reel handle. If you know about the ABU series of multiplier
> > reel than think that. They looked cool :-) and very desirable. I am
> > starting to think that there are a number of these projects being
> > worked on now though.
> > --
>
> There was a radio minister who had a tape player which worked by hand
> crank
> so people out in the boondocks of whatever continent could play his
> sermons.
> Apparently they were a hit with missionarys because they did not need
> carry the extra weight of batteries into the bush.
>
> There is another solution in solar cell chargers which are sold for use
> on boats
> and RV's to keep their batteries charged. Boats needing the double
> sized ones.
> Much more voltage than a computer needed but nicely compact about the
> size
> of a keyboard.
>
> CWSIV

That's right :-) I bought one of those when I was over in Australia
in 2000/2001. I hadn't seen any over here in the UK at the itme so
picked one up from Dick Smith Electronics store from the shopping mall
in Adelaide. Good price, shame I haven't got around to using it
:-(((( My car just won't accept it (it's meant as a solar battery
charger) as all power is cut from the lighter socket when the keys are
taken out. I keep meaning to run some cable direct from the battery
but haven't got around to it...too busy playing with Linux on my PC's
:-)

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street