Re: [SLE] SUSE Linux 10.0 Retail Box a Step Backwards
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:25:49 -0400
On Thursday 06 October 2005 08:36 pm, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Thursday 06 October 2005 19:52, Scott Leighton wrote:
> > Well, 10.0 just arrived at my house, and I am disappointed
> > right off the bat by the packaging.
> >
> > Unlike 9.3, which had a very nice plastic holder for all the
> > CDs and DVDs, 10.0 has a cheap cardboard box with the 5
> > CDs and 1 DVD contained within with paper wrappers.
> >
> > The graphics are nice, but the overall box package is
> > a major step backwards from where it was with
> > SUSE Pro 9.3.
> >
> > Scott
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> A lower price makes SUSE more affordable to more people. I understand
> your feelings, but you're not being entirely rational. You paid a lot
> more for 9.3, too. Did you think they could cut your price that much
> *and* ship all the same "goodies"? Not realistic.
>
> Take some of the money you saved this time and buy a $5 "plastic
> holder" that fancies you and "quit yer bitchin'" IMHO, the packaging
> is but a "needle" in a very large "haystack" of quality software. And
> I was taught early on "If you can't say something nice, don't say
> anything at all."
>
> What about you?
>
> - Carl
==========
Carl,
I don't see where you figure Novell cut the price? Stop and think a
minute about it. The box we get now is not comparable to the Pro
version that was out, not at all. It's not even comparable to the
Update box we got before and it was only $59.95! From what I can see,
this should be another $5 to $10 less than the Update package, then we
would have a price cut. Without a source DVD & Admin printed manual,
the only price cut anyone saw was Novell.

I do agree that the CD/DVD holders are of little value and as
inexpensive as they are in the stores, so cut the whining and get a
better one! ;o)

The real big thing I'm wondering about is; are there stickers, etc in
the box this time!! ;o)

end of line
Lee

< Previous Next >