Re: [SLE] SUSE Linux 10.0 Retail Box a Step Backwards
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 00:00:04 -0400
On Thursday 06 October 2005 11:48 pm, Scott Leighton wrote:
> On Thursday 06 October 2005 8:33 pm, Kurt Wall wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 04:52:47PM -0700, Scott Leighton took 26
> > lines to
>
> write:
> > > Well, 10.0 just arrived at my house, and I am disappointed
> > > right off the bat by the packaging.
> > >
> > > Unlike 9.3, which had a very nice plastic holder for all the
> > > CDs and DVDs, 10.0 has a cheap cardboard box with the 5
> > > CDs and 1 DVD contained within with paper wrappers.
> > >
> > > The graphics are nice, but the overall box package is
> > > a major step backwards from where it was with
> > > SUSE Pro 9.3.
> >
> > Eh, you're paying $30-$40 US less, and you're griping about the
> > box?
>
> First, price isn't the issue.
>
> Second, my frame of reference is SUSE Pro 9.3's package, which
> contained
>
> 1) Admin Manual and User Manual
> 2) SuSE sticker
> 3) 2 DVDs, 5 CD's in a nice case
>
> I paid ~ $90 for that product. I would happily pay the same for
> 10.0
>
> Now, comes SUSE Linux 10.0, ONLY OFFERED IN ONE PACKAGE.
> It contains;
>
> 1) Startup manual
> 2) 1 DVD, 5 CDs in a cheap cardboard box
>
> I found lot's of value in the 9.3 Pro package, I was pleased when
> I openned it.
>
> I find no value in the 10.0 package, I need an admin manual
> a lot more than I need a start up manual (think about it, you
> only 'start up' once, you admin stuff all the time), and I
> appreciated the Media holder to protect the media I
> purchased. The sticker was a nice touch, kind of a
> thank you to the customer. They are all gone in 10.0,
> so why bother buying the box set in the first place? Might
> as well just download the ISO's....
>
> Scott
************

Sounds like if they are trying to get folks to stop buying the box, they
are certainly doing all the right things. Maybe they didn't cut out
the retail version like Red Hat did, but they certainly make you wonder
why you bothered purchasing it, don't they? Wonder what they will want
to charge you for the source DVD. You would think they would offer the
Admin manual as a separate purchase too.

I'm kinda feeling that Novell/SuSE dropped the ball on the retail
package this time. Hope it's not a trend for them.

Lee

< Previous Next >