Re: [SLE] SUSE Linux 10.0 Retail Box a Step Backwards
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 02:51:54 -0400
On Thursday 06 October 2005 22:00, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> Carl,
>
> When I ordered the 9.3 Pro upgrade, I got both DVDś and CDś in a decent
> holder along with the Admin book. If we have to pay the same price for
> 10.0as the 9.3 Pro upgrade, why can´t we expect to get the same materials?
>
> Barry

Hi Barry,

I'm not Novell/SUSE, so this question is really misdirected. But, since you've
asked, my perspective is that 10.0 is a completely new product... in essence,
newly designed and priced from the ground up.

For 30 bucks less, you get one DVD instead of two and a hard copy 'Starter'
book of some kind instead of the two hard copy User and Admin Guides. For
your comparison to the upgrade, there is one less DVD and the 'Starter' guide
is substituted for the Admin Guide. I guess I might look at this differently
since I've spent a lot of years on the software publishing side, but a new
product is... well, a new product.

If your market research tells you that most of the source DVDs you landed in
the past never got pulled from their jackets, only gathered dust...

- if that research also tells you broadband is pervasive enough now that
people can download whatever is "missing" from the box without too much
difficulty; friends, relatives, employers, neighbors, coworkers, schools &
libraries... whomever/wherever... someone will have the bandwidth they need
for an afternoon...

- if that research also tells you newcomers to Linux need better "hard copy"
help while installing the product; that a special 'starter' book should be
written to fulfill that need because the Admin and User guides weren't
working so well for that group; that you could drop the price *and* provide
such a new book...

- if that research led management to believe the price point was too high and
inhibiting sales to prospective new Linux users...

- if it said it was imperative to keep the *software* quality high but to
also meet the lower price point...

get my drift?

These people know the balancing act that is their business and it is
impossible to make money and please absolutely everybody. Time will tell if
the approach they've taken is correct. I certainly hope so, because it's a
stellar series and the people at Novell/SUSE deserve our support.

- Carl