Networking - SuSE 9.3 & WinXPx2 - wireless and wired
  • From: Bernard <bernd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 20:26:07 -0700
I apologize if this has been addressed recently. Returning to list
after a couple of years, and haven't found a good way of searching
archives without going month by month.

I have been most places to look for information on this. How-to's,
wiki's, manuals, and forums come close with some parts but I'm either
left confused, or in trying suggestions, have no results whatsoever
or wind up with more problems than I started with.

Here's what I have going on:

I have 3 boxes -

Box #1 - SuSE  9.3-Pro
- This box has 2 network PCI cards - 1) Wireless PCI(wlan0) pointing
to the router(wireless) (internet) (via DHCP). 2) Ethernet card (eth0)
set with static IP, also set to internal zone in firewall. (Also
just picked up another wireless PCI and can install if needed)

Box #2 - WinXP-Home
-This box has 1 network PCI card - 1) Ethernet PCI set with static IP
in same subnet as eth0 on Box #1

Box #3 - WinXP-Pro
-This box has 1 network PCI card - 1) Wireless PCI pointing to the
router(wireless) (internet)(via DHCP).  Also connected to this box are
2 printers.

**Box #1 & 2 sit next to each other in one location, Box #3 is in
same location as router (wireless), yet separated from other Boxes.**

**I want to be able to share files and printers with ALL boxes.**

**I want to be able to use the internet from Box #2 and Box #3, BUT
have them go through Box #1. Box#2 > Box#1>router(internet) AND
Box#3>Box#1>router(internet)**

Problems-
-Box #1 can only ping self and router.
-Box #2 can only ping self.
-Box #3 can ping self, router, and Box #1

Is there hope without turning my brain to mush pouring through volumes
of information??? I need the networking for dummies version.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Bernd