Re: [SLE] Regular permissions dialog for items on vfat disabled
  • From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:41:26 +0530
Friday 14 Oct 2005 20:39 samaye Gaël Lams alekhiit:

> Right: the umask command is used to determine the default file creation
> mode on your system. If you change it, the files created before this change
> will keep their current permissions (fortunately).

Well that's actually unfortunate for me. What I want is for my vfat partitions
to be like my own home partition rwxr--r-- throughout. One time by mistake I
mounted it with some other umask (I think) and it keeps remembering that and
even if I set umask=033 now it does not give rwxr--r-- to the files.

So how do I make the system forget the permissions of the inodes in the
Windows partition? If I start up my machine once without mounting the Windows
partition will that do?

P.S: I tried using chmod -Rf 0744 /win with mixed success...

< Previous Next >