Re: [SLE] Watching DVD on SuSE 10
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:21:56 +0100
On 20/10/05, Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*thread partially snipped from previous posters for brevity*

Tthe latest software patents discussion has shown that there
> > > is a broad resistance against certain one-sided commercial interests
> > > and that individuals are ready to fight for their right. It's kinda a
> > > philosophical problem, but I believe there are barriers in the real
> > > world that can only be broken by civil disobedience in cyberspace.
> >
> > Correct and that's where I'm at with it!
>
> Good to read that someone has an opinion on that and is not just
> complaining and blames others, which doesn't change anything.
>
> \Steve

It's my belief that this law and others are now starting to simply go
too far. We are civilised and we do obey and accept the letter of the
law because it's right. Without law and regulation society breaks
down. But areas such as the DVD encryption laws and Digital Rights
Management are pushing good laws over the edge into bad unwanted and
unnecessary burdens on ordinary people. If civil disobedience is the
only way to get them stopped then so be it. We are not asking or
condoning theft or anarchy just plain simple fair play.

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street
Cheslyn Hay