Re: [SLE] unplugging USB hard disks
  • From: Jorge Fábregas <fabregasj@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:54:26 -0400
On Thursday 20 October 2005 5:57 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> The only reason to sync before shutting down is because the
> root file system cannot be unmounted.

I really never thought about this until now that you mention it. It's logic
ok. However, I gave /etc/init.d/halt a look and there are two lines almost at
the end:

mount -no remount,ro / 2> /dev/null
sync

One would think (I did) that the / filesystem was unmounted and now it's being
"remounted" read-only, which isn't the case. It's just the syntax of the
command and its options that will make you think that.

My question really is: why the sync command after the drive being mounted
read-only? Isn't that a contradiction (to put it read-only, and the perform
the sync command? Or is it that the "read-only" option doesn't apply for the
actual writing of dirty pages to disk?

Just food for thought...

Thanks,
Jorge