Re: [SLE] Watching DVD on SuSE 10
  • From: Carl William Spitzer IV <cwsiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:59:12 -0700
On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 09:29 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thursday 20 October 2005 09:21, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > On 20/10/05, Steve Graegert <graegerts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > \Steve

> > Kevan Farmer
>

> Civil disobedience has its place and its role in sound, stable and just
> societies. I'll speak only of the U.S.A., but we are in big trouble and
> are far out of balance. Civil disobedience (and a lot of it) is
> certainly called for. Matters of intellectual property rights (assuming
> the term is not an oxymoron) are but a small portion of our problems.
>
> The only thing I warn is that you understand Civil Disobedience
> properly. Do some reading first and truly understand the concepts and
> principles before you start simply ignoring laws because you deem them
> unjust.

Martin Luther was cast out of the Catholic church for disobedience and
challenging its sins of that age. Gandhi and Martin Luther King went to
jail a lot.

Here I think there might be a better issue using the law against itself.
Always before
copywrite allowed for personal backups since the time of cassette tapes
which would
be duplicated onto metal oxide for use in a car when the better
sounding tapes would
be ruined by the heat etc. There is also the possibility that the use
of some DRM
technologies may be illegal ala Poison Celon whose cdroms deliberately
damaged
computer equipment at some point by using a data channel outside the
music channels
on the cd. If these measures cause harm in other countrys then the
makers of these
technologies and the users of same might be legitimately sued in many
countrys.

In America its called a class action, many small plaintifs joining for
common cause.
But finding a lawyer with courage and deap pockets may be a problem.
--

< Previous Next >