Re: [SLE] unplugging USB hard disks
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:08:04 +0100
On 29/10/05, Bryan Tyson <bryantyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 28 October 2005 17:01, Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> > I know that you
> > couldn't simply unplug old style serial or parallel port drives etc
> > because of the risk of burning the port out, this shouldn't happen
> > with USB. Should it?
>
> No, the automounting is in sync mode so you should be able to unplug any
> time there is no activity. I have never heard of a usb port "burning
> out."
>
> Bryan

Ok, I'm with you guys so far :-) Now, my next question is how do you
know when data has finished its transfer to the USB device? I know
that a lot of USB devices have a light that wither blinks on and off
or stays on during data transfer. But there must be a another way of
registering the transfer - it usually opens a window if you are in GUI
mode but this is not the case in command prompt mode. What I'm
getting at is the same as with a car. You should never rely on the
oil warning light to come on and tell you that you are low on oil
because the light/bulb may have blown or be otherwise defective. The
same goes for this tell tale light on the USB device. Or am I now
worrying for no reason?

Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street