Re: [SLE] SONY DRU-800A DVD+-RW oppinions
  • From: Lake-Wind <lake-wind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:41:02 -0500
Sunny wrote:
Hi,
can someone recommend this device for using under SuSE? Someone had problems?

Thanks

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Hi,

I bought a Sony dual layer DVD burner about a year ago. I had nothing but problems with it. About 45% of the discs I burned with it were coasters (even when using quality media). I contacted Sony Tech Support and they told me that they only support the drive with the software that was bundled with it (for Windows). Within 2 months I replaced it with a dual layer NEC DVD burner. The NEC works great with SUSE. Works with KIIIB flawlessly. I have yet to burn a coaster with the NEC drive. Since then I have purchased another NEC and a Pioneer DL burner for two more computers in my home. I've never had a bad burn with either of these burners.

I recommend that you do not buy the Sony drive. The NEC's cost less and in my experience are far superior! You can get one here in the U.S. for $38.99 from NewEgg.com.

Mike