Re: [opensuse] Posting on openSUSE
  • From: Rasmus Plewe <rasmus@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:55:27 +0200
On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 06:53:21PM +0200, houghi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:49:28AM +0200, houghi wrote:
> >
> > Also I would like the lists maintainers of the list to take a stand
> > in this.
> > I really would like to know what your opion is on this, even if it is "I
> > don't care".
>
> As there is no official statement, I guess the maintainers do not care.
> I can do better things with my life and free time then to just scroll up
> and down on a mailing list.

While I do agree with you on all your points, please consider that there
is no "list maintainer". I bet you a non-belgian beer, that the first
post after a post like "I'm the list maintainer from SUSE, and I would
very much like you to do the following" would be a "so, you only *say*
it's "open"SUSE, but in fact you want to retain full control as you just
proved" posting.

> It is a
> pity that topposting, something that was introduced by Microsofts Outlook
> and Outlook Express has such a following with Linux people.

Actually, I might be wrong on the historical details, but as far as I
recall THIS WAS INTRODUCED BY WEBTV !!!! AROUND THE SAME TIME USENET
SUFFERED FROM THE AOL-INVASION !!!!!!!!!!

Rasmus
--
A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?