Re: [opensuse] Guru's RPM: YaST vs. Web
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:06:38 -0700
Eberhard,

On Sunday 09 October 2005 11:51, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:

> > Is there a mirror for the YaST-compatible Guru's RPM Repository?
> > Surely some of the popular mirrors would make enough space
> > available, wouldn't they?
>
> Come on, just change ftp to ftp4 and go on.
> 1000 OpenSUSE users more or less a day really is peanuts. ;-))

Yowsa! That made a _huge_ difference in the set of packages I see in
YaST Install & Remove. I was preparing a posting about how I couldn't
find a bunch of the dependencies for running iPodder (a Python-based
podcast aggregator), but it's all moot, now.

Thanks for pointing this out and sorry to make you say it twice.

I really do appreciate all the work of all you folks in making this new
release available.

> Even more: if you all would start your YOU at the same time, it can
> be very efficient because the second YOU'er already hits a buffer
> cache match (and so on).
>
> So let's try: please as many as possible of the readers here (but
> nowhere else ;-)) change their YOU and/or YaST installation source to
> ftp4, and let the 0 minute of each full hour be the moment to trigger
> installation or update.

Ummm... I'm not sure if you're kidding or not. You don't _really_ want
us all to synchronize our access to your server, do you?

> I will report here if I see an effect.
>
> Cheers -e

Randall Schulz