Re: [opensuse] Sound not available when a new user session started
  • From: "M.Blackmore" <mblackmore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 12:08:10 +0100
On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 22:31 +0000, Guðlaugur Jóhannesson wrote:

> There is a file called logindevperms in /etc/ that changes permissions
> for the various devices. You should change the permissions on /dev/dsp
> to 0660.

Alas, this does not appear to exist on my machine! I can create it, of
course ... if so, what would be the syntax?

But if not that name, there must be the same function somewhere ...
where would it be?

I realised though that I'm being thick about the version, on the machine
in question which the kids use it is of course suse 9.3. I'd upgraded
from clean to 9.3 on that one, and 10 on "my" box. Doh! The trouble with
KVMs...

But a quick check reveals same problem on both...

Sorry for such basic questions. Since the kids were born I really
haven't had time or energy to learn the guts of linux. (Don't let anyone
on this no doubt very male populated list think being a housemum is a
leisurely option mooching at home - as a housedad I can tell you its as
hard, demanding of time, energy, and particularly emotional resource and
endurance to nurture little ones, as the high pressure stuff I did over
the previous 25 years!!)

So my knowledge is luser level - if it don't work out of the box I'm
baffled and often don't know where to start...

Just the sort of person that linux collectively needs to be catering for
in one part of its efforts to conquer the world - as well as the highly
technical applications which someone like me rightly leaves to those who
need it, with the knowledge to implement.

But if it don't work out of the box for "us" then something isn't quite
right with the "product"!! The job of you tekkies is to put it "right",
eh! Forums like this expose you to the sorts of trivial problems that
those with little technical knowledge or time to fiddle have, that stop
us dead in the water- things that the cognoscenti don't even stop to
think about anymore and have probably forgotten they once never knew...

< Previous Next >